Saturday, January 27, 2007
Siblings?
Did you know that most Italians that we meet think we are brother and sister? No, it's not because we are starting to look alike after 5 1/2 years of married life! But, they see our passports or hear our last names and proceed to ask if we are siblings! The reason for this assumption is that Italian women retain their maiden name after they get married. How funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Angie,
I'm so glad you found our new blog - I've really enjoyed going through yours - now I can keep updated! Italy sounds and looks fabulous - how long have you been there? how long are you going to stay? Are you getting sick of living with your brother :) Just kidding. I can't believe that you've already been married almost 6 yrs. Time flies - yes I remember when you were going to move to Ft Collins! Italy seems just a little bit cooler :) I'll check in and see your new pics when I can. You'll have to tell me on my blog what you guys are doing over there?? Are you working, playing, providing a home...
Hi, A&W! Wish we could see you 2 sometime! Damion would love to meet you...maybe in Italy??? Hope things are going well for you. What a priviledge and exciting time you must be having! We miss you lots.
Love to hear all about Italy and woudl love to visit someday. Had Sp Mtgs yesterday in St. Pete.
Carl has surgery Wed 1/31 on complete tear of the bicep. If he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Happened on School bus. Dangerous thing! VERY COLD here. gets down to the 30's at night. Goes right to the bone. Love your blog.
Carl and Gloria
Someone alerted me to your blog and I've enjoyed it immensely. I have found some familiar faces in your pictures, because my husband traveled back and forth to Italy many times and knows that wonderful elder and his wife you wrote about. Next time you see him, tell him "American Express" sends greetings, please! He would call him that because he always kept coming back and forth and showing up unexpectedly! (His trips were usually Milano to Aviano and back.) Also the sisters there became very dear to us. I was able to accompany "American Express" on a few of his trips and can picture much of what you are telling about. p.s. re: the "sibling" issue.....wonder if Italians wear their wedding rings on their right or left hand? We noticed in Germany the w. rings are worn on the right hand!
This is hysterical. Paul and I had the opposite problem when we travelled in Europe. We couldn't convince people that we really WERE brother and sister. They kept saving their one double bed for us everywhere we went. We would check in and the owners would exclaim how they had "saved the honeymooners the double bed." We would explain we are brother and sister and REALLY want the twin beds--but often they had given them all away. It took us a few B&B's to learn to ask when we booked...Kari
Post a Comment